The President of Sierra Leone yesterday announced that 10 officials under investigations by the Anti Corruption Commission have been suspended until further notice so that they may not interfere or impede the work of the ACC. About 1 million dollars in GAVI funds meant to assist national immunization were paid into unauthorized accounts between 2008-2011.
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT,
RE: INVESTIGATION INTO THE GAVI ALLIANCE GRANT TO SIERRA LEONE AND OTHER CORRUPTION RELATED COMPLAINTS IN RESPECT OF THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND SANITATION
THE GENERAL PUBLIC IS HEREBY INFORMED THAT THE ANTI-CORRUPTION COMMISSION (ACC) IS INVESTIGATING ALLEGATIONS OF MISUSE OF DONOR FUNDS RELATING TO THE GAVI ALLIANCE ASSISTED HEALTH STRENGTHENING “HSS” CASH SUPPORT TO SIERRA LEONE AND OTHER CORRUPTION RELATED COMPLAINTS APPERTAINING TO THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND SANITATION.
THE NATURE AND WEIGHT OF THE SAID ALLEGATIONS MAKE IT IMPERATIVE THAT THOSE INVOLVED SHOULD BE SUSPENDED FROM OFFICE TO PRECLUDE OBSTRUCTION AND INTERFERENCE WITH THE CONDUCT OF THE INVESTIGATIONS.
ACCORDINGLY, HIS EXCELLENCY THE PRESIDENT HAS DIRECTED THAT THE UNDERMENTIONED OFFICIALS OF THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH AND SANITATION BE SUSPENDED FROM OFFICE WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT:
1. Dr. Kisito Sheku Daoh Chief Medical Officer
2. Dr. Magnus Ken Gborie Director of Planning & Information
3. Rev. Dr. Thomas Takpan Samba Program Manager EPI
4. Dr. Michael Amara Principal Health Economist
5. Dr. Edward Magbity Principal M & E Officer
6. Mr. Joseph Tekman Kanu Snr. Permanent Secretary
7. Mr. Amara Sanimeh Koroma Principal Accountant – MoHS
8. Mr. Mohammed Kallon Procurement Manager, MoHS
9. Mr. Edward Bai Kamara Permanent Secretary, MEST, formerly Perm. Sec. of MoHS
10 Osman Bangura Assistant Accountant, MoHS
29TH JANUARY, 2013