Here are the top 5 things making the news in Sierra Leone and abroad for the Week of April 13-20.
1. 14 soldiers charged with mutiny at Teko Barracks in Makeni denied bail. (Politicosl)
2. Musu Konneh – 24 yr old Sierra Leonean police officer who placed 20th at the London marathon has made contact with team mate Idrissa Kargbo after disappearing after her race. She told Kargbo she wants to return home but he says he is not sure if she will. Konneh holds the record for Sierra Leone and Liberia 5000 and 10,000 meters
3. 290 Rape cases reported in Kono – Koidu Govt Hospital. IRC – Rainbo Centre (Politicosl)
4. The Eco will replace the Leone on Jan 2015. The Gambia, Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and Guinea, will launch their common currency “the Eco”, an action that will unite the West African Economic and Monetary Union, forming a single West African Monetary Zone – WAMZ. The six countries have already formed the WAMZ and set the schedule of launching the “Eco”. (PatrioticVanguard.com)
5. Gambia bans flight from Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea on orders from Yayah Jammeh (BDayLiveco.za)
Visit Sierra Leone Facebook page – Radisson Blu Mammy Yoko Hotel
Lamrana Bah – Officials of NASSIT are relieved of their duties with immediate effect. Mr Samuel Bangura Director general Mr Gibril Saccoh deputy director general Mr Idris Turay director investments and projects.
Spi Derman WAFENT – Famous in Concert April 20th at Family Kingdom
GWB Commission – 6th Annual GWB will be held on April 26 at Fillmore in SilverSpring