A week ahead of Sierra Leone’s vital World Cup qualification encounter and head coach Olaf Mattson and The Sierra Leone Football Association have yet to announce the squad that will face off against Tunisia.
At stake is a place at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Tunisia as always stands in Leone Stars’ way . Tunisia eliminated Sierra Leone from AFCON 2013 in South Africa following a 2-2 draw in Freetown and a goalless draw in Tunis last October at the Monastir Olympic Stadium.
SLFA Public Relation Officer, Sorie Ibrahim Sesay admitted to the delay on Tuesday via a post on Facebook.
The football association rep says they are waiting on invited players to confirm their willingness to play in the 2014 World cup qualifier. He did not say which players had been invited nor did he name those from whom the FA has yet to receive a response. Sesay says that the SLFA is completely taken aback by recent media reports that there are two published lists of selected players.
“We are of the conviction that for any list relating to the invitation of players of any national selection MUST emanate from the Sierra Leone Football Association, the body charged with the responsibility of running football in the country,” he reiterated.
The affairs of the FA are currently being manage by an interim body appointed by FIFA late last year.
“The public will be duly informed of any development regarding the national football team preparation for this match,” he noted.